Sunday, July 23, 2017

Bigger than Machu Picchu?

Hi Friends and Family,

Less than 2 weeks before we head out to Peru! Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and donations thus far.

This week, Devin organized the surplus of the donations we received for the kids. Thanks Devin!! Our closets are now full of toys, soaps, toothbrushes, assistive devices, shoes, orthotics and much more! Thank you to everyone who donated these items.

As we approach our departure, I can’t help but think about my life over the past year and a half. Life has not been easy for me (to say the least). I imagine some of you reading this might have had a rough 2016-2017 as well. With being said, it makes this trip that much more special to me. I am incredibly thankful to have this opportunity to travel to Peru – in more ways than one. But I think I’ll keep those to myself for now.

I have this sense that this trip is bigger than physical therapy. Bigger than Ryan Vaughan (or any other classmate of mine). Bigger than MMI. Yeah… even bigger than Machu Picchu. I don’t know what “bigger” looks, feels, tastes, sounds like, other than how Jesus is in the business of engaging with us through his story of grace. I pray that we would not see this trip so much as a project or humanitarian effort, but rather as a part of a story which gives meaning and purpose to ourselves and those we encounter.

The true gift is recognizing that story is not only lived out on a mission trip to Peru, but it is the vehicle by which God makes himself known to us in our day to day life. I hope you’ll continue to join us as we journey to Peru

Peace out cub scouts,

Ryan



No comments:

Post a Comment